Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl

Title: Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl
Author: Jesse Andrews
Pages: 295
Language: R - too many swears to even count
Content: R
Level: High School
Recommendation: Not in this library

Summary: Greg is a high school senior who has survived and thrived on a complex set of social rules –that include skirting the edges of all the social groups. Greg loves films and has been making his own for years with his friend Earl. He hates all the films they have made and no one else is allowed to see them. When Greg’s mom forces him to reacquaint himself with a girl named Rachel, because she has leukemia, he has to start breaking all his rules.

Review:  I was excited to read this book, until I began reading it.  The storyline intrigued me, but the writing turned me off completely.  There are too many swearwords to count (SERIOUSLY!!) and the author is completely BLUNT about things that I can't imagine really happen in high school.  Maybe this book would be great in a less conservative area,but I am afraid it won't fly in a rural, conservative town.

No comments:

Post a Comment